What You Need to Know About EV DC Fast Charger Costs
As electric vehicles (EV’s) continue to become more popular, the need for DC fast charging stations is rapidly increasing. Many car dealerships, fleet operators, commercial and industrial business owners, including hotels and retail malls are choosing to install DC fast chargers, also known as Level 3 chargers, on site. It is a prudent decision and there are many benefits involved. DC fast chargers provide greater convenience, an elevated level of customer service, added benefits to employees and guests, and a demonstrated commitment to reducing environmental impact. As an industry leader in electric vehicle charging solutions, one of the most common questions we are asked from our commercial clients is, “What is the cost of a DC fast charger and/or what is the cost to install a DC fast charger?”
Similar to any construction project, there are many factors that contribute to the overall cost of a DC fast charger purchase and/or installation. The initial things to consider are:
Charger Output Level – DC fast chargers can output from 20kW to above 350kW, depending on the model and application they are built for.
- Costs for these units can range from approximately $15,000 to over $150,000 for the highest output units.
- There are some chargers that can service two vehicles at the same time, but others may require additional dispensers, or units, in order to provide that convenience.
Existing Electrical Infrastructure – As a site owner, manager or operator, or the person tasked with getting a DC fast charger for your site, you will need to take into consideration your current electrical infrastructure. While DC fast chargers provide a faster charge, they also require a lot more energy. Most DC fast chargers need 480 V/3-Phase in order to function properly.
- There are a few DC fast chargers that can operate on single phase or 208V/3-Phase, but they are limited to 50kW output and below.
- If you are considering a high power DC fast charger installation, it may require over 500A of 480V/3-Phase.
- If the utility company needs to be involved to get additional power to the site, it can add to the cost due to the significant time involved.
Location – the closer to the electrical infrastructure you are, the more affordable your installation will be. The further away from the electrical panel, the greater the chance it will require cutting through concrete or walls, which will increase the overall costs.
Rebates and Incentives – There are many programs available to site hosts that can help offset the equipment costs, installation costs, or both. Please contact us for further information about programs you may qualify for.
It is important to note that DC fast chargers require an extra level of knowledge and expertise to select and install. You want to feel confident in your choice and we are here to help you with that process. EV Safe Charge specializes in DC fast chargers and can provide you with end-to-end solutions to meet all your needs.
Please contact us with any questions you may have. We offer the latest, most reliable DC fast chargers from the most trusted brands in the industry.